Health-E-News October 2016
empowering you to optimal health
5 Proven Benefits of Chiropractic Care
Going to a chiropractor may be scary for some. Getting an adjustment may seem a bit unnatural, but it’s actually very natural. Instead of treating pain with drugs and surgery (the unnatural options), you can enjoy the benefits of chiropractic care.
In many cases, chiropractors may help you avoid surgery altogether and provide a more natural way of treating pain in the body. Here’s a quick look at five of the top benefits and the research to support them.
Relief of Sciatica
Treating sciatica and the symptoms related to it can be rather difficult with just physical therapy. The European Spine Journal published the results of a clinical trial, which proved chiropractic adjustments are successful in treating sciatica. The study showed a 72% success rate compared to just a 20% success rate for those treated with physical therapy and a 50% success rate for those treated with corticosteroid injections.
Headache Pain Relief
Whether you suffer from migraines or tension headaches, chiropractic care may be the answer. More than 230 peer-reviewed articles have been published referencing how chiropractic treatment can help to cure and prevent headaches and migraines.
One study showed that 22% of those using chiropractic treatments for headaches saw the attacks drop by 90%. The same study showed that 49% of those survey said they have a significant reduction in the intensity of the pain.
Lower Blood Pressure
George Bakris published a study in 2007 about how chiropractic care affects blood pressure. He compared it to two different drugs used to lower blood pressure. His study showed those receiving chiropractic care saw a greater reduction in blood pressure compared to those in the placebo and the drug groups.
Other studies have shown similar results. Some have even shown that patients’ blood pressure goes back up after they end chiropractic care.
Reduction of Colic Symptoms
A study published in 2012 in the Journal of Manipulative Physiological Therapeutics showed chiropractic care as a way of reducing colic symptoms. While it hasn’t been studied by many, the effects of chiropractic care on children suffering from ear infections and colic have been shown to provide a complete or near complete resolution after just a few treatments.
Prevention of Surgery
Chiropractic care is a natural solution used by many to prevent back surgery. The Journal of the American Medical Association published an article with guidelines for low back pain. They suggest that people try chiropractic care and use surgery as a last resort.
Chiropractic care has also been shown to provide benefits with neck pain, frozen shoulder, scoliosis, athletic performance and neurological conditions. It’s more than just getting an adjustment for your back or neck. Many of the treatments used by chiropractors help to cure or lessen pain throughout the body.
Top 10 Foods to Eat for Better Health & Wellness
Foods commonly referred to as “super foods” make a huge difference in our daily lives. When we feed our bodies properly, we gain energy, ward off sickness and provide lasting benefits, such as disease prevention. Here are ten foods you should eat more often if you want to gain better health and overall wellness.
- Berries: Whether you prefer blue berries, raspberries or strawberries, add them to you diet. Berries provide plenty of fiber, which is missing from most American’s diets. They also help to promote weight loss and support the digestive system.
- Lemons: Did you know one lemon provides more than 100% of the vitamin C you need on a daily basis? It has also been found that the citrus flavonoids in lemons may prevent cancer cells from growing. They even act as an anti-inflammatory agent and one study showed that lemons help your body better absorb antioxidants in green tea.
- Broccoli: As children, we may not have liked eating broccoli, but there’s a reason our parents put it on our plate. Broccoli is packed with vitamin K and vitamin C. It helps to support bone growth and can help ward off many different types of cancer.
- Garlic: A natural antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal, garlic is great for warding off illness and disease. It contains sulfur compounds, which actually act as antioxidants to provide benefits to the cardiovascular system. Consuming just six cloves or more of garlic every week can drop your risk of prostate, stomach or colorectal cancer by 50% compared to eating just one clove.
- Olive Oil: Some of the healthiest fat on the planet comes from olives. This fat helps to lower LDL cholesterol, which is known as the bad cholesterol. It also helps to raise the good cholesterol known as HDL cholesterol. Just one tablespoon a day makes a huge different. Make sure to look for extra virgin organic olive oil.
- Beans: A great source of fiber and iron, beans are one super food everybody should add to their diet. The minerals found in beans help to transport oxygen to the lungs and cells throughout the body. In addition, the iron found in plant-based food is absorbed by the body easier than iron found in meats.
- Sweet Potatoes: A beautiful orange root with plenty of alpha and beta carotene, sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A, which helps to support your bones, eyes and immune system. The phytochemicals found in sweet potatoes also act as antioxidants, which help with disease prevention.
- Tea: Drinking tea regularly has been shown to help prevent diabetes, some cancers and Alzheimer’s. Some tea also helps to support gum and teeth health because it’s rich in antioxidants. The best choice is freshly brewed green tea, even if it’s flavored.
- Spinach: Rich in vitamins A, C and K, spinach is one of the best greens on the planet. It’s also rich in potassium, magnesium, iron, fiber and calcium.
- Dark Chocolate: Less than one ounce of dark chocolate a day has shown to reduce blood pressure in healthy individuals. Cocoa powder is also rich in antioxidants, which help to reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol levels.
All of these foods fall into the super food category. Found in their most organic, natural form, they are packed with nutrients and help support your overall health and wellness.
Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy: A Healthier Option
Chiropractic care comes with many benefits, even during pregnancy. It’s a great way to help maintain the health of your spinal column, nerves, discs and bone geometry without the need for drugs or surgery. By adjusting misaligned joints, chiropractic care will help to promote health throughout your entire body.
Is Chiropractic Care Safe During Pregnancy?
Chiropractors are trained to work with pregnant women and chiropractic care is known to be safe for women during pregnancy. In fact, some chiropractors specialize in working with women before, during and after pregnancy.
Top Benefits of Chiropractic Care during Pregnancy
Many women have been taught to believe certain symptoms of pregnancy are simply normal. Morning sickness, back pain, out of control hormones, swollen ankles, nausea and other symptoms are considered normal in today’s society. You’re told to just deal with it, if you want a baby.
One of the major benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy is the reduced intensity or even elimination of these symptoms. Since the nervous system controls your body, a chiropractor has the ability to use specific techniques providing a more balanced body, while relieving tension and pressure on nerves and the brain stem. This may result in the following benefits:
- A healthier pregnancy
- Less nausea or no nausea at all
- Quicker labor and delivery
- Less neck, joint and back pain
- Better chance of a natural birth
Even in the event of a breech delivery, chiropractic care may help balance the pelvis providing a better chance of moving the baby into the correct position for delivery. Not only will this be easier on the baby, but it can also eliminate the chance of dystocia making your labor and delivery safer and easier.
What Causes Pregnancy to be Hard on the Mother?
Pregnancy changes a woman’s body in many different ways. The changes lead to the symptoms most commonly associated with pregnancy. Some of the changes include:
- Pelvic changes
- Postural adaptation
- Increased back curve
- Protruding abdomen
All of these changes have an effect on the nervous system of the woman’s body.
How Chiropractic Care Helps During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, a chiropractor will help you to establish a better pelvic balance and alignment. With better alignment and balance of the pelvis, the baby will have more room to develop, which causes less stress on mom’s body. This will also help the baby to get into the correct position for delivery.
Along with better pelvic alignment and balance, a chiropractor will help relieve tension and pressure on the nervous system. As the master communication system of our bodies, the nervous system is a huge part of the reproductive system. By using specific techniques to keep the spine aligned, a chiropractor will help your entire body work and feel better during pregnancy.
The bottom line, chiropractic care during pregnancy may help to reduce the intensity of many common symptoms, such as nausea and back pain. If you’re pregnant and searching for a natural way to ensure you remain healthy, happy and prepared for delivery, chiropractic care may be the answer for you.